Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Manny Pacquiao - The Greatest of my Time

By Ricardo Lois

"Who do you think is the greatest fighter of all-time."

Chavez and myself agreed that is hard to rate fighters across eras, especially pugilists we had never seen fight live or in historical context. But apparently what followed from me - a perceived "Manny Pacquiao Hater" - shocked my listening audience and some of the Filipinos adoring fans.

I went on to argue that withing my era, the last twenty-five years or so, Manny Pacquiao is the greatest fighter I have ever seen.

Yes Pacmaniacs across the globe, I the grand hater, who may pick Floyd Mayweather to beat Manny, has dubbed Pacquiao my personal pick for the best fighter of the last twenty-five years or so.

Who else has done more than Pacquiao? The man has scaled several weight classes, leaving human carnage in his rear view mirror, and doing in in exciting fashion.

The magnetic poles have not shifted. It is not the end of the world. It is just one boxing scribe giving credit, where credit is much over due.

0 comments:

Post a Comment