Thursday, December 24, 2009

Watch Robert Stieglitz VS Edison Miranda Fight

by: James Slater

28-year-old Russian-born Robert Stieglitz of Germany is the WBO super-middleweight champion. Having stopped tall southpaw Karoly Balzsay to win the WBO 168-pound title back in August - the 11th-round TKO win coming in front of Balzay's home fans in Hungary - the new champion made a name for himself and he now aims to keep his title. Set to meet power puncher Edison Miranda in Germany on January 9th, the fighter with the 36-2(22) record is confident of victory in what will be one of the first of 2010's big title fights.

A good amateur who says he had around 80 fights, Stieglitz was the Russian National Champion in 2000 and 2001. Moving to Germany in April of 2001 - the country the 28-year-old calls the land of his ancestors - the WBO ruler lists the Klitschko brothers as his number-one boxing heroes.. Very much wanting to emulate the heavyweight kings, the man who first began fighting in the field of martial arts and who soon found out boxing was his real calling, feels he is, as he puts it, now "prospering" after many years of hard work.

Speaking to me recently via his interpreter Diana Spasova, the boxer who has been a pro since April of 2001 began by telling me how great he's felt in training camp.

"Training is going, and has gone, according to our plans," Stieglitz said, as translated by Miss Spasova. "I don't really want to name the fighters I have been sparring with," he said. "But let me just say, they are good fighters who have similar styles to that of Miranda - very aggressive-minded. They have been emulating Miranda for me very well and I've been able to try out the tactics I will employ in the fight on January 9th."

Stieglitz says he knows he is in for a tough fight against Miranda, but that he will in no way lose his treasured title. The 28-year-old told me that Miranda is well known in Germany due to his two battles with Arthur Abraham, and that a win over the Colombian known as "Pantera" will help make him a bigger name himself.

"I always expect a tough fight, every time out. We in Germany all know what he [Miranda] can do. But I know I will beat him."

Stieglitz was losing on points to Balzsay, before he came on strong late in the fight. Is the German a fighter who always gets stronger the longer a fight goes, I asked him.

"I know I am always in great shape - the kind of shape necessary to fight at a good pace, and I also keep my power for all 12 rounds. Balzsay could feel that I was still strong and powerful later on in the fight. My intuition as a fighter allows me to judge when an opponent is weakening and when it is the time for me to take my chance and get the victory."

As tough as the fight was, I wondered if Stieglitz feels the battle perhaps took something out of him physically.

"No. My preparation for that fight was just perfect - I knew it would be a hard night's work. But everything we had worked on worked. In the fight I took what I had to take to win. As I say, I feel great today."

At age 28, Stieglitz feels he is at his very peak now, and he also feels he is set for a long reign as WBO champion after having bounced back from stoppage losses to Alejandro Berrio (who he also has a win over) and Librado Andrade. Getting back to the Miranda fight, his first defence, Stieglitz says he anticipates a fast start from the big puncher, but that he will be on his guard and showing great attention towards his defensive game.

"I respect Miranda as a big name and as a big puncher, I know I will have to be very careful with him. He will no doubt come out and try to land one of his big punches - he will fight the way he always does. I am confident, though, because I am now a completely different Robert Stieglitz from the man who lost to Alejandro Berrio. I don't like to make predictions myself, but if the opportunity to stop Miranda comes before the final gong, I will take it. But whether I get a knockout or not, I will definitely win the fight. I have been studying Miranda on tape and I am ready to keep up a fast pace throughout the full fight, for however long it lasts."

0 comments:

Post a Comment