Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Watch David Tua vs Friday Ahunanya Boxing FIght Live

by James Slater


Two exciting punchers will collide in New Zealand on March 27th, in David Tua and Friday "The 13th" Ahunanya. For quite a while the 38-year-old Nigerian with the 24-5-3(13) record has wanted a fight with the 37-year-old Tua, 50-3-1(43) and now he has what he wants. Currently training hard and wanting no distractions (Friday even cut short the following interview so as to get back to work, so hugely motivated is he for the big fight), Ahunanya who now lives in Las Vegas, is confident he will win in March. Going even further than that, Friday has been predicting a KO win over the never-stopped "Tuaman."

Very kindly giving me a few minutes of his time yesterday afternoon (U.S time) the man who has wins over Shane Cameron and Alonzo Butler, and who has been in with names such as Alexander Povetkin, Sergey Lyakhovich and Sultan Ibragimov, had the following answers to my questions:



James Slater: I know you've wanted a fight with David Tua for a long time; now you have it, are you motivated like never before for a fight?

Friday Ahunanya: Oh, absolutely. I'm ready to go. I will come prepared for the fight and I will make the most of this opportunity.

J.S: Who will you be sparring with for Tua?

F.A: We're just getting ready, and I will begin sparring in a couple of weeks. I don't know who I will be working with, but I trust my manager, Luis [Tapia] to get the right guys for me.

J.S: You have said a number of times how you plan on plan on becoming the first to KO David Tua. When the fight starts, do you expect the both of you to go right at one another?

F.A: If I go right at him, that will be the fight that suits him. I have my strategy, and I plan to wear him down later in the fight and capitalise on his mistakes as he does grow tired.

J.S: Are you worried at all about how you have not fought since June of 2008? Are you worried about ring-rust?

F.A: No, not at all. Rust is all in the mind. I'm in the gym and that is the purpose of sparring, to get rind of any rust you may have. There's no doubt, I will be ready for Tua on March the 27th.

J.S: Why have you always wanted to fight Tua? Is it because you always felt you had the style to beat him?

F.A: No, it is what it is. I always want to fight the best, because if you can take the best - if you can beat the best - you know that you are the best yourself. You only know that if you can beat the best, and I will consider myself one of the best if I beat David Tua. I feel really humbled to have been given this opportunity. I will make the most of it, too.

(at this point, Friday wanted to get back into his current day of training. So Luis Tapia, Friday's manger, came in to answer questions)

J.S: Is Friday at all nervous for this fight, or is he merely motivated?

L.T: Trust me, Friday will beat Tua on March 27th! He's not nervous at all. He's really motivated and I wish this fight was tomorrow (laughs) - I really do. Friday is ready for him right now!

J.S: And assuming Friday does beat Tua, what then?

L.T: I have spoken to both of the Klitschko brothers, and Friday would fight either one. Other than those two, there are not too many big name heavyweights to fight - this is a money-earning business after all. I want my fighter to earn as much money as he can. I don't really think David Haye wants to fight anybody, not Friday anyway - but we will win this [Vs. Tua] and then see. This win will put us in a good position.

J.S: What would you say Friday's best punch is?

L.T: Believe it or not, but Friday's best punch is his left hook; just like Tua. But the difference is, Friday doesn't just walk in with his punches and try to get you to the ropes and knock you out - like Tua does. Friday likes to box, and he also has a good uppercut. He's been training to be more aggressive now, and I tell you, if Tua thinks he will win this fight in one-round, he is dreaming! That will never happen. It's been good talking to you, but now I must go and help Friday get ready. Thank you.

J.S: It's been a pleasure speaking with you and Friday. The last thing I wanted was to interfere with your fighter's training.

L.T: It's okay. Call us closer to the fight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment